Lazaro Diaz – Layer 2 Switching & VLAN’s for Cisco CCNA
This course is several hours in length and will cover Layer 2 switching in detail. I will explain the Technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks, network segmentation, switching concepts and the operation of Cisco switches.
Students will get a thorough understanding of switching and how we would implement it in a real world environment.
We will discuss the following concepts switching services and rules we should follow when segmenting networks. We will also compare bridging vs. LAN switching focusing in great detail on the Spanning-tree protocol. We will look at the switch Functions at layer two, such as how a switch learns about the nodes on the network and how it makes its decisions to forward the information and most definitely how to secure our ports on the switches.
Once get an understanding of how switches work and their administrative configurations we will then go into explain and creating vlans and inter-vlan connectivity and what would be the benefits of using VLANs on our network. You will learn the different port types and encapsulation methods we use when using vlans, and will fully understand the difference between trunking a port and the VTP protocol.
This is a lecture based course using the Touch-IT Technology Smart board, which will make learning very interactive and engaging. Hands on labs will be used to drill down the concepts learned in each lecture using Cisco’s Packet Tracer.
My method will make you feel like you are sitting in a classroom environment and give the most needed hands on experience!
Handouts will be available to facilitate learning and practice.
This course will help the student become familiar with layer 2 switching and vlans and how to implement them in your environment…but it will also help in preparing for any networking certification or Computer Science Degree; not to mention the fact that for those already in the field, it will further improve routing decisions in their particular networks.
Layer 2 switching
- Introduction to layer 2 switching (3:11)
- How the switch populates its MAC address table (18:14)
- Switching Loops at layer 2 (14:43)
- Port Security (29:46)
Configuring Catalyst Switches
- Basic Administration Configuration (30:47)
- Advanced Administration Configuration (16:59)
- Verifying Cisco Catalyst Switches (10:09)
- Backing up Switch configurations (9:04)
Enhanced Switched Techonologies
- The Spanning-Tree Protocol (31:37)
- Types of Spanning-Tree (8:56)
- Per-vlan Spanning-Tree (5:13)
- Modifying the Switch Bridge ID (12:14)
Manipulating Spanning-Tree Protocol
- Using the Portfast command (8:09)
- Using the BPDUGUARD command (11:57)
- Verifying Spanning-Tree Protocol (4:43)
- Broadcast Control using Vlans (13:12)
- Security using Vlans
- Flexibility and Scalability
- Switchport modes (18:00)
- Frame Tagging (5:41)
- Vlan Identification Method (4:50)
Routing between vlans
- Do we need routers? (5:17)
- Creating Vlans (15:28)
- Naming and assigning Vlans (7:00)
- Configuring Trunk Ports (6:45)
- Changing the Native Vlans (7:26)
- Inter-Vlan configurations
Virtual Trunking Protocol
- Defining VTP (12:05)
Summary of Layer 2 Switching
- The importance of creating a secure, redundant and fast switched network (2:52)
- Layer 2 Switching Exam