Essential Training – Android 5.0 Lollipop
Android 5.0, also known as Lollipop, brings many new features and capabilities to Android powered mobile devices.
Lollipop has a more polished design, improved performance, and a TON of new features.
In fact, with this release, in many ways Google has caught up and far exceeded the Apple’s iOS 8 mobile platform.
The most visible change is the new user interface and Material theme, but there have been significant changes to –
- 3D graphics capabilities
- the storage system
- wireless connectivity
… and a ton of more APIs (over 5000 new APIs have been introduced!)
With the new Material design style and user interface updates, developers can take advantage of shadows on views and control their height (z-level), and use drawable animations and activity transition effects to give the user a more active experience.
XML vector graphics can now be drawn directly into drawables, and UI controls can be fully customized to suit your needs.
Lollipop also now supports the Khronos OpenGL-ES 3.1 standard, allowing 3D graphics developers to take full advantage of that toolset.
There is also an Android extension pack for OpenGL-ES that guarantees fragment shader support, and adds geometry shaders and tessellation.
The new camera APIs can be used to detect devices and their capabilities, selecting among them from within your app. There are over 60 capabilities for cameras defined in the API, which allows for very fine-grained selection of the proper camera for every need.
Lollipop also adds the MediaSession and MediaController class for better control of media playback and simplified media browsing.
Apps can now scan and select among all available networks, and devices can now function as Bluetooth peripherals.
There are also expanded capabilities for near field communication (NFC).
All that said, with Android Lollipop, developers have many more choices and powerful capabilities at their fingertips!
What You Will Learn
This course is an update to EDUMobile’s Android Development course, but can also be used by working developers to get a quick overview of the new APIs in Android Lollipop.
You get – approximately 5 hours of High Quality Video Training, Source Code, Workbooks and Exercises taught over 5 Sequential Units.
- Section 1 – Gives a small overview of the course with introduction.
- Section 2 – Presents some of the important features of the new Material theme and user interface. We’ll look at two new controls that help organize and display lists of data, as well.
- Section 3 – Covers the improvements in media playback as well as an introduction to the new camera APIs.
- Section 4 – Is all about storage enhancements, wireless and Bluetooth connectivity, and the new accessibility frameworks.
- Section 5 – Explores accessing app u sage statistics as well as some of the APIs that give enhanced capabilities to enterprise apps.
The material in the course is presented at a very high level by necessity, and will help you get started with the essential concepts you need to know in the Android Lollipop 5.0
If you’re a mobile developer, and you’ve wondered what this new Google Lollipop tastes like – this is a perfect start!
- Lollipop Overview (6:51)
- Discussion of this Course (2:49)
- The Material Theme (3:26)
- Material Theme Demo with Source Code (7:33)
- Recycler View and Card View (5:34)
- Recycler View Demo with Source Code (6:49)
- Using Card View in a Recycler View with Source Code (9:10)
Improvements in media playback
- Media (4:56)
- Media Demo (7:45)
- Camera (10:25)
- Camera Demo with Source Code (7:17)
- How to respond to touch events in a Recycler View with Source Code (6:00)
- Storage Discussion (4:20)
- Storage Demo (8:50)
- Available Networks (4:21)
- Network Availability Demo with Source Code (4:12)
- Bluetooth LE Peripheral Advertising (3:44)
- Peripheral Advertising Demo with Source Code (3:49)